Eggplant and Swiss Chard Tortino
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 lb eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- salt (sea salt preferably)
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 bunches swiss chard, stems removed and leaves thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup grated provolone
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- graded turmerirc to taste (optional- use with black pepper to increase the benefits and bioavailability of turmeric in addition to other health benefits)
- Lightly brush both sides of the eggplant slices with the olive oil and placed on two parchment-lined baking sheets in a single layer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven until tender and just browning on top, about 15-20 minutes.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, red pepper flakes and swiss chard and saute until the swiss chard has wilted. Mix in the provolone until it melts.
- Let the chard cool and then mix in the eggs.
- Cover the bottom of a greased 10-inch springform pan with 1/3 of the eggplant slices, followed by 1/2 of the swiss chard mixture, 1/2 of the mozzarella, 1/3 of the eggplant, and the remaining swiss chard, mozzarella, and eggplant. Sprinkle the top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and the sides are bubbling, about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve topped with marinara sauce