Known in Hawaii as 'olena and India as the “spice of life”, turmeric is considered one of the most powerful herbs in the world. Its health benefits have been analyzed in thousands of studies showing therapeutic properties such as: anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic, antifungal, antibacterial, antidepressant, pain reliever, anticoagulant, and anti-diabetic properties. Adding turmeric to your diet can prevent or improve the symptoms of various diseases like cancer, type 2 diabetes, inflammatory diseases, metabolic diseases, neurological diseases and depression.
Laboratory studies have shown that curcumin, which is the most studied component of turmeric, “is able to kill cancer cells and prevent more from growing. It has the best effects on breast cancer, bowel cancer, stomach cancer and skin cancer cells”. It is also great for treating depression (regulating neurotransmitters and decreasing anxiety) and being deemed the "new prozac".
- Mix water (1 cup) with turmeric powder in a pan and slowly heat it up and stir for 6-10 minutes until you get a thick paste (add the additional ½ cup water if it is too thick).
- Add black pepper and oil and continue stirring until all the ingredients are fully mixed in together.
- Allow the paste to cool.
- 1 ½ cups water
- ½ cup turmeric powder (based of Waihuena golden milk paste spice pack)
- 1 piece of ginger, about the size of ½ of your thumb
- 2 level teaspoons ground black pepper (already added in Waihuena golden milk paste spice pack)
- nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, anise, cardamon (already added in Waihuena golden milk paste spice pack)
- 3 teaspoons coconut oil (optional)
- Pour the water into a small pan and bring to a boil.
- Finely grate the ginger and add it to the pan together with the Waihuena farm golden milk paste spice pack. You can also add coconut oil.
- Stir continuously on a medium-low heat for about 3-4 minutes. If the paste is too thick, add a small splash of water and continue stirring.
- Give the paste to the clean jars, seal and let cool. It will keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
- 1 cup milk of your choice (coconut, almond, dairy etc)
- 1 heaped teaspoon turmeric paste
- ½ – 1 teaspoon honey or other sweetener of your choice